Dear Mythology Students,I welcome you to the land of gods and goddesses, where logic does not exist, only the idea that some where in the slime of cosmic confusion order becomes real. Was that poetic? TRANSLATION: Prepare yourself to learn ancient ideas and concepts that are bizarre; yet still relevant and valid in modern times. I welcome you to Mythology.
HOMEWORK for Thursday, 25th, 2017
1. Supplies with five dividers ( assignments, notes, handouts, vocab./mechanics, journal)
HOMEWORK for Tuesday, January 17th, 2017
2. "What is a Classic? "
What is a Classic? DUE DATE:
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017
Explanation: If something is referred to as "classic," what does that mean? Many times when individuals hear the world "classic," they naturally think of pieces of literature or art, which, of course apply and make sense; however, in addition to literature and art, there are a myriad of other aspects to our culture that could be considered "classic."
Prior to explaining your assignment, allow me to give you some insight into the word "classic." It has been suggested that the Latin root classicus, relates to the "first or highest class or division" in which the Roman people were anciently divided. These individuals were often spoken of as "classici." So, the word "CLASSIC" could be interpreted to mean "of the first class" or of the highest order. " The meaning is probably best captured by our slang expression, "classy."
So, knowing this little bit of information, what do you consider to be "classic?"
Assignment: For your assignment, you are to consider the word "classic," and then locate an image of what you to be "classic." There is no "right" or "wrong" answer, as long as you can justify your choice as being "of the highest order." In addition, you need to further justify your choice in writing by answering the following questions in your response.
- Identify your "classic " choice.
- In your words, what does the term "classic" mean to you?
- In a brief paragraph, explain why you consider your choice to be "classic?" Please be specific. A response such as, "Because I like it," is not sufficient!
- Please type, double space your response, using 12 pt font, Times New Roman print
- Include an image of your chosen "classic example."
- Follow the example offered on the explanation handout given to you on Wednesday.
- Include your first and last name, my name, period, and date in the upper left corner of your assignment (MLA format) ....DOUBLE SPACE!
HERE ARE SOME PREVIOUS STUDENT EXAMPLES. Please do not repeat these.
The Parthenon/Temple to Athena Nike....the structure is a classic example of the lasting influence of the ancient Greeks.
Warm apple pie and vanilla ice cream
Solitaire Diamond Ring
I look forward to working with you this year!