If you missed class on Friday, December 4th, you missed the following:
1. We completed a Journal #3 entitled "Hero." I asked the following:
- Define the term hero (in your words). What specific qualities, in your opinion, does a hero possess? Identify individuals that you consider heroic, and then tell me why?
3. Each hero possesses NINE TRAITS:
- 1. They are flawed.
- 2. They experience PATHOS, or they suffer more than the average person
- 3. They are "Born" : There are two types of "births"
- 1. They are conceived in an unusual manner
- 2. The hero is "born" when they realize that they possess
- abilities beyond the normal range of human achievement
- 4. They are always assisted by a "goddess" (female character)
- 5. They marry someone that causes them great pain and anguish
- 6. They experience what is known as an "IGNITION EVENT." This event is usually, but not always, tragic. It causes them to "ignite" into action.
- 7. They are faced with physical and emotional challenges.
- 8. Through these challenges they become enlightened (more knowledgeable/physically and emotionally stronger)
- 9. Their deaths are usually violent.
- NOTE: Heroes experience at least 6 out of the 9 qualities
- Please remember that your "UNDERWORLD 2nd DRAFT" is due on Tuesday, December 8th!
- Please read "Perseus" pg. 146 in your textbook
- You wil have a quiz covering "Perseus" on Tuesday, December 8th!
- Please read "The Hero's Journey" given to you in class. This is an interview between mythology expert, Joseph Campbell, and Mill Moyers, a corespondent for NBC NEWS.
- Review the 9 TRAITS of a hero. If you missed class and did not receive a copy, I will place several copies of the interview outside my door.
- You will have a quiz over #4 and #5(above) on Thursday, December 10th!
PRACTICE QUIZ for "PERSEUS"
Instructions: Please answer the questions in association with the bold section of text.
- Acrisius journeyed to Delphi to ask the Oracle's assistance. What she told him was worse than what he had anticipated.
- 1. What is his purpose in going to Delphi?
- 2. What news does the Oracle give him?
- As she sat there through the long days and hours with nothing to do, nothing to see except the clouds moving by overhead, something strange happened
- 3. Okay, so explain this text to me...how could an individual only see the "clouds moving overhead."
- 4. What is the "strange happending?"
- "He wanted her, but he did not want her son, so he set out a way to destroy him."
- 5. Identify the "he" (general response is fine).
- 6. Identify the "her" (proper noun, please)
- 7. Identify the "son", and explain "the way to destroy him."
- "This radiant personage told him that before he attacked her he must first be properly equipped. What he needed was in the possession of the Nymphs of the North, and to find them he must first speak to the aged ones."
- 8. Identify the "radiant personage."
- 9. What does "properly equipped" mean? Basically, what do the Nymphs of the North offer him?
- 10. Explain and identify "aged ones."
- "'Look into this when you attack the Gorgon," she said. '"
- 11. Identify the "this" in the above quote.
- 12. Identify who is speaking (she)?
Enjoy your weekend!