Thursday, September 25, 2014

Wednesday, September 25th, 2014 and Friday, September 26th, 2014

Dear Mythology Kids,
If you missed class, we completed the following:

1.WHAT DO ANNOTATE and NOTATE MEAN, Crampton?
 "ANNOTATE" means to underline text in order to strengthen understanding. "NOTATE" means to record information next to text in order to strengthen understanding."

  • If you  find a section of text confusing then you would underline it using BROWN.
  • Another way to annotate is by asking QUESTIONS about the text. RED is the color you will use for this annotation.
  • If you come across a VOCABULARY word that you don't know use PURPLE!
  • If a piece of text touches you emotionally, then BLUE is the color for that annotation.
  • If a piece of writing is poetic to you, then use BLACK!
  • If text gives you insight into THEME or MOTIFS then GREEN is your annotation color.
  • ORANGE is the color you will use if you come across text that you find interesting. 

We continued discussing the gods! The remaining information regarding HERMES, ARES, and APHRODITE is located below. REMEMBER THAT YOU WILL HAVE A QUIZ COVERING THE GODS ON TUESDAY!

FRIDAY
Ares….first murderer….first to be acquitted ……cowardly……MARCH…..Romans respected Mars, much more than the Greeks respected Ares (harvest/growth)……Aphrodite….Pain, Panic and Contention ….are their children
Cupid/Eros son of A and A…Sadistic
Aphrodite…..blooms of plants, manipulates with love, She uses Eros/Cupid to assist with manipulation …… H and A and A…magical Girdle …… causes the Trojan War…golden apple



PRACTICE QUIZ
 1. Venerate, Vigil, Valuable, Vigilante, Volume, Viscous...I love words that begin with the letter V. ______________/______________
2. I would make an excellent "shop" teacher. ______________/___________
3. I have a PhD in Statistics. __________/______________
4. I am "President Obama" of the Olympians. _____________/____________
5. I directed a documentary film on grand larceny (look this up). ___________/____________
6. I would do well working in a floral shop, as I have a "magic touch" when it comes to flowers.

_____________/_______________
7. March is my favorite month. ____________/___________
8. I always "hit my mark." __________/_____________
9. I am responsible for desecrating a temple. ____________/_____________
10. Justify your response for #9 ____________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________
11. A trick was played to woo me, so "love can not live where there is no trust." ______/_____
12. Justify your response for #11. ____________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________
13. I failed to ask my wife's mother for her hand in "marriage." _________/_________
14. "Make me the most beautiful land animal." __________/____________

15. I gave my father a terrible headache the day I was born. ____________/___________
16. I was in the delivery room when my brother was born. ______________/______________
17. I am "cuckoo" for cuckoo birds_____________/_______________
18. "Beauty" is in the eye of the beholder. _______________/_______________
Justify your response for #18 ______________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________
19. Payment is needed to enter here. __________/__________
20. Two eagles "found" my truth  _______________/__________________.

HOMEWORK/WEDNESDAY:
1. Please read "Prometheus" and "Pandora." Both myths are located in the "make-up" box in the Mythology room. Please annotate and notate each myth/5-7/page/ using all the colors, but primarily GREEN!
2. Read "Demeter" pages 50-55 in your book! If you own your own text, then you are welcome to annotate/notate in it. If not, then please use a sheet of notebook paper. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU PURCHASE YOUR OWN BOOK! Please annotate and notate each myth/5-7/page/using all the colors, but primarily GREEN!

HOMEWORK/FRIDAY:
1. QUIZ covering the Greek gods on TUESDAY! Take advantage of the "practice" quiz above!
2. "COMPARISON ESSAY" is due on THURSDAY, OCTOBER 2nd!   DO YOUR BEST TO COMPLETE YOUR ASSIGNMENT! REMEMBER THAT SOMETHING is ALWAYS BETTER THAN NOTHING!
3. Read "Daphne " pges. 119-120 in your textbook....annotate/notate/7-10 total/all colors/mostly GREEN for TUESDAY!

REMINDER, cute kids! If you did not complete annotating "Demeter" for Friday, I am happy to accept it on MONDAY without your homework coupon. If you give it to me on Tuesday, then I will need your coupon. Please bring your annotations to me on Monday BEFORE school or during lunch. Remember that I have meetings after school! Thanks, guys!
 

Your FINAL exam!

Dear Mythology Kids, It's nice to "see" you again. Let me offer some "study guidance" for your final exam. Please ...