Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hector, Cassandra, and Achilles were the characters discussed on Friday!

Achilles, hit by Paris' arrow

Hector, Prince of Troy, mourned by his wife and son

Cassandra, Trojan Princess, daughter to Priam, sister to Hector and Paris, Agamemnon's "prize of war."


Dear Mythology Kids,

I hope you are enjoying your weekend! How was Preference? I look forward to hearing about it when I see you on Tuesday.

You missed the following on Friday:
1. Hector, Cassandra, and Achilles were introduced to you. Check your handouts and visit with another student from class.
2. I returned your Peer Reviews. I have placed them outside my room on the bulletin board. Please take yours home, so that you are aware of the feedback and suggestions given to you. Your 2nd Draft is due on Tuesday.
3. Start reviewing the characters from The Iliad, as your "Quest" is quickly approaching.
4. Continue reviewing your vocabulary works!
5. Please read pages 191-200 of The Iliad located in your textbook for Tuesday.


CASSANDRA
B1
1. "later Apollo turned against her because she refused his love, and although he could not take back his gift--divine favors once bestowed might not be revoked--he made it of no account, as not one ever believed her."
2. "After the war began, Cassandra continued to predict calamities in store for the Trojans."
B2
1. "Ajax, the lesser, dragged her away, overturning the statue, and raped her on the spot, while the image of Athena turned its eyes away in horror."
2. "It was her fate always to know the disaster that was coming and be unable to avert it."
B4
1. "Cassandra foresaw everything that was to happen. Even her family believed she was mad. In fact, to avoid scandal, her father had her locked away, ordering the women who attended her to report everything that she said."
HECTOR
B1
1. "His glancing helm was everywhere and one gallant warrior after another fell beneath his terrible bronze spear. When evening ended the battle, the Trojans had driven the Greeks back almost to their ships."
2. "Apollo forbade Hector to enter upon a contest with Achilles, but when the two heroes met, they were protected by Apollo and Athena. The Trojans fled, but Hector, although called back by his parents in the most imploring terms, remained and awaited Achilles."
B2
1."If I kill you, I will give you back to your friends and you do the same for me."
2. "My doom has come upon me; let me not then die ingloriously and without a struggle, but let me first do some great thing that may be told among men hereafter."
B4
1. Same as b2
2. Same as b1
ACHILLES
B1
1. "Beg no more you fawning dog--begging me by my parents! Would to god my rage, my fury would drive me now to hack your flesh away and eat you raw."
2. "She held the young Achilles by the heel and dipped him in the river Styx; everything the sacred waters touched became invulnerable, but the heel remained dry and therefore unprotected."
B2
1. "If I do not make Hector pay with his life for Patroclus' death, then I can say that I did not help my comrade in the hour when he needed me most."
2. "...an expert with sword, spear, bow and arrow, and he could outrun any horse except his own two immortal stallions. In his flashing armor, forged by the god Hephaestus, he filled the enemy with terror."

B4

We did not complete the presentation regarding Achilles on Friday; therefore, you'll be given the quotes on Tuesday.


I look forward to seeing you on Tuesday!
Cheers,
Crampton



Your FINAL exam!

Dear Mythology Kids, It's nice to "see" you again. Let me offer some "study guidance" for your final exam. Please ...