Dearest Mythology Students,
I'm sorry that you missed class! If you are ill, please take care of yourself, if you decided to "avoid" class, then YOU ARE GOING TO HADES WITHOUT AN OBOLUS! SHAME ON YOU, my young friends!
We completed the following:
1. Journal #1 entitle "Hope"
Please consider the following quote by Freidrich Nietzsche. "Hope is the worst of all evils, because it prolongs the torment of man." "Talk" to me about this. Do you agree or disagree with Nietzsche? Explain why? Possibly you see his point of view, but you also view "hope" as a positive entity, as well. Please support your opinion with a personal example.
2. We read several nature myths in class...."Narcissus," "Arachne," "Daphne" (found in your book on page 119), and "Clytie" (page 305 in book). If you missed class, please read these myths. "Narcissus" and "Arachne" can both be found in your textbook, so even though you did not receive the versions I gave to everyone in class, you may use your text as a "back up" for those myths.
3. We had a "guest" come to class. I hope you enjoyed learning more about "Rosie."
. FOR HOMEWORK:
1. Please read "Demeter and Persephone" ( I gave everyone a copy of this myth). It won't work as a PDF, so I have left several copies outside my room on the bulletin board.
2. Please read "Demeter" (located on pgs. 50-55) in your book.
Note: Both #1 and #2 are the same myth; yet, they have some distinct differences
3. QUIZ on TUESDAY covering "Prometheus," "Pandora," and "Demeter and Persephone." Your quiz is a "take-home" quiz. Make sure you have your myths to exchange for the quiz.
4. Remember your "Modern Day God" assignment is due on TUESDAY!
5. Remember your Throne Assignment is due on October 4th.
Enjoy your weekend; I look forward to seeing you on Tuesday!