If you missed class, we completed the following:
1. I introduced the mosaic assignment to each class today. Originally I had planned to explain the assignment to you on Friday, Dec. 10th; however, several students will be gone for an AP Art History field trip. I realize that some students missed class today, due to other obligations, but more students will be gone on the 10th. I was caught between a "scylla and a charybdis" with this decision. I felt the "lesser of two evils" was to explain the assignment to you today.
What is a mosaic? A piece of artwork that is comprised of many different pieces. Please see the examples of mosaics below.
Why were they so important to the ancient Greeks? They took the subjects from their mythology and literally cemented them into mosaic artwork.
I look forward to seeing the subjects you have chosen for your mosaics. For those of you that missed class on Tuesday, we completed the following:
1. Introduction of your "Mosaic Assignment"
•Your mosaic must be at least 11 x 17 in size
•The subject may be any aspect associated with our study of Classical Mythology (gods, lesser gods, heroes, monsters, and specific myths and their characters)
•You need to be passionate about your selection.
•If you elect to draw the subject, extra-credit will be given
•If your mosaic is larger than the required size, extra-credit will be given
•Choose a subject for your mosaic and have an overhead transparency prepared of the subject for WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 8th. This is an assignment! Your transparency is due at the beginning of class on Wednesday. I gave every student a transparency. I suggest google images for a valid location to look for strong images. Mrs. Gull will make your transparency for you in the copy center, PRIOR to WED. SHE CAN NOT MAKE THE TRANSPARENCY FOR YOU ON WEDNESDAY!
•50 points will be given for each day you come prepared to work on your mosaic. You will be given Friday, Dec. 10th, Tuesday, December 14th and Thursday, December 16th to work on your mosaic in class.
2. We took the quiz concerning "Perseus" in class.
1. Take-home quiz concerning the nine traits of the hero and the interview between Joseph Cambell (mythology expert) and Bill Moyers (NBC corespondent) is due on MONDAY!
2. Mosaic subject on a transparency is due on WED., DEC. 8th.
3. Create a "works cited" page for you mosaic source. If you located your subject from any other source than your mind, then you must reference the source. This is also due on WED.
Have a great weekend, and I look forward to seeing you on Monday.