Dear Mythology Kids,
Welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your break. If you missed class today, we completed the following:
1. Completed our discussion of the nine traits associated with heroes. I have included them for you below:
Heroes in ancient Greek were given this title because they experienced what is known as PATHOS, or in other words, they suffered more than other individuals. Through their suffering they became stronger.
•1. They are flawed.
•2. They experience PATHOS, or they suffer more than the average person
•3. They are "Born" : There are two types of "births"
•a. They are conceived in an unusual manner
•b. The hero is "born" when they realize that they possess
•4. They are always assisted by a "goddess" (female character)
•5. They marry/associated with someone that causes them great pain and anguish
•6. They experience what is known as an "IGNITION EVENT." This event is usually, but not always, tragic. It causes them to "ignite" into action.
•7. They are faced with physical and emotional challenges.
•8. Through these challenges they become enlightened (more knowledgeable/physically and emotionally stronger)
•9. Their deaths are usually violent.
•NOTE: Heroes experience at least 6 out of the 9 qualities
ARCHETYPE: This term is important, as you will hear it frequently in Mythology. An archetype is a pattern of traits that characters possess that qualify them as certain character types. For example, characters that possess the traits included above would be qualified as an archetypal hero.
1. Please read "Perseus" pages. 146-154
2. You will have a quiz covering "Perseus" on Thursday.
3. Please review the nine character traits, as you will have a "take-home" quiz given to you on Thursday. The quiz is due on Monday. You will submit your nine-trait sheet and your interview prior to taking the quiz.
4. Please read the article entitled "The Hero's Adventure." Annotate/ Notate 5-8/page/using ALL your colors for Thursday. I have placed several copies of the article outside my room on the bulletin board. This article will be part of your "take-home" quiz.