Dear Mythology Kids,
We completed the following today in class:
1. Viewed a clip from 300 regarding Sparta, then we continued our discussion regarding the island of Crete and the Minoan culture.
2. Creation Myth (the back side of your yellow handout)
3. FLASHCARD TOPICS:
- 1. polytheistic
- 2. pagan
- 3. city-state
- 4. Minoans
- 5. Myceneans
- 6. Homer
- 7. Aesthetic myth
- 8. Mythology
- 9. Gaea
- 10. Uranus
- 11. Nyx
- 12. Erebus
- 13. Eros
- 14. Pontus
- 15. Aphrodite
- 16. Furies
- 17. Cyclopes
- 18.100 handed ones
- 19. Titans
- 20. Atlas/Prometheus/Epimetheus
- 21. Typhon
- 22. Iaeptus
- 23. Cronus
- 24. Rhea
- 25. Hestia
- 26. Hera
- 27. Demeter
- 28. Poseidon
- 29. Hades
- 30. Zeus
I When I see you on Monday, we will review, and then take your quiz. Remember to use the practice quiz as a pre-test. You should put all of your information away while you take the quiz. THIS IS CLEARLY AN INTEGRITY ISSUE ON YOUR PART, my fine young friends. In addition, you should print a copy of the quiz as a word document, and be prepared to bring it with you to class on Monday. We will review for the quiz by discussing the questions on the practice quiz. If you choose to use flashcards on the quiz , you can use a 1/4 of the ones that you complete. DON'T FORGET to review the information concerning your map. In addition, you will receive questions from "Tell me a Story" (Front of your yellow handout).
PRACTICE QUIZ for "THE CREATION" Myth
1. According to the ancient Greeks, how did formed matter begin?
2. Three "beings" were initially created, please identify them for 2-4.
2._______________ 3.______________ 4.________________
5. Who was Uranus, and what was his greatest fear?
6. Identify his first two "groups" of children and why his wife was so angry with him concerning these children.
7. What characters are created from Uranus' death (in any order)?
9. Describe the Titans to me.............
10. Why is Cronus so willing to destroy his father?
11. Cronus marries his sister, Rhea, who in turn gives him six children. Explain what he does with the children and why.
12. Refer to the image at the top of this post. The two characters on this Greek vase are married. The female is offering the male something of significance. Explain to me what is taking place here.
13. Refer to the second image at the top of this post. Identify the three female characters in the drawing. What was their purpose in Greek mythology?
14. Refer to the third image at the top of this post. Explain the symbolism behind the death of the character lying on his back.
15. Refer to the fourth image...... Why was Uranus so afraid of "these" ( I know there is only one) children?
16. Who is this? Explain her "birth."
I hope you did well! I will see you soon.