Dear Mythology Kids,
Please make sure that you are prepared for your reading quiz scheduled for Tuesday. The myths that you need to have read are the following:
1. "Mead of Poetry" pgs. 26-322.
2. "The Treasures of the Gods" pgs. 48-53
Your quiz will be different, again, as it is an oral quiz. I promise it will make sense when I see you on Tuesday. You will need to support your responses by using examples from the myths. MAKE SURE YOU READ THEM! The following questions will be used for the Socratic discussion we will have on Tuesday:
1. 1. The name “Bolverk” translated means “evil one.” Explain why you think Odin selected this name for the character he portrays in “Mead of Poetry.” Support your answers with examples from the myth.
2. Agree or disagree with the following statement by Odin, and then justify your response. “To be a poet, that is the finest calling.”
3. Consider the “host/guest” relationships within “The Mead of Poetry.” How are these relationships different and/or similar to those in the Greek myths? Support your idea with examples from “The Mead of Poetry” and any Greek myth.
4. The “quest for knowledge” is a strong motif in “The Mead of Poetry.” Primitive societies venerated poets in association with their leaders and gods; however, in some cultures the desire to learn was considered dangerous. Express your ideas concerning both “frames of thought.”
5. What could Sif’s hair represent? (What could it symbolize?) Explain your ideas.
6. What are Loki’s motive, both hidden and apparent, in the myth “Treasures of the Gods?” Explain.
7. Which group of gifts, in your opinion, is more superior? Support your reasoning.
In addition, don't forget that your memorized poem, and the explanation that goes along with it, are due on Thursday, April 22nd. Please remember the following:
1. Make sure your poem is memorized
2. Make sure you have included a typed explanation as to why you value the poem and the meaning behind the piece.
3. Remember to include a copy of the poem beneath your explanation.
IF YOU MISSED CLASS ON FRIDAY, APRIL 16th!
1. We took/corrected our quiz covering the gods
2. I introduced the concept of motifs to my B1 and B4 classes. B2 had to leave early due to the Spirit Bowl, so I will explain motifs to them on Tuesday.
Enjoy your weekend!