I hope you have a wonderful weekend. If you are going to Homecoming, remember to tell your date that she/he is JUNOESQUE or APPOLONIAN!
If you missed class, we completed the following:
1. Each student took the test covering the Greek Pantheon. PLEASE communicate with me if you missed this assessment.
2. We started obtaining additional information about Zeus and Hera. I have included the information that we discussed in class below. PLEASE copy and paste this information to the YELLOW HANDOUT located in your NOTE section that has images of all the gods on it.
- controls all aspects of the weather
- tricks Hera into marrying him by transforming into a cuckoo bird
- Hera is his second wife
- Metis is his first wife (she is the mother to Athena)
- shape shifts into animals in order to woe women
- has numerous affairs
- has difficulties in making decisions
- god of athletes/athletic events were held in his honor/wore "crown" of oak leaves
- Punishes Prometheus for creating mankind
- Zeus transforms into a cuckoo bird. Hera loves animals, and finds a "cuckoo bird" outside her window trapped in a storm. She brings the bird to her breast and states, "I will love you forever, cuckoo bird, and I swear by the River Styx that I will honor this vow." At this point, Zeus returned to his true form, raped Hera, and told her that she had to honor her vow by marrying him. If you swore by Styx your oath could not be broken.
- She loves animals.
- Hephaestus is her son without a father (in some versions) Hera was angry that Zeus had given birth to Athena without the assistance of a mother, so she gave birth to Hephaestus without a father. He was born ugly and unshapen, so she cast him off Mt. Olympus.
- Due to Zeus' affairs, Hera takes her anger and frustrations out on Zeus' lovers and children.