If you missed class, please be aware of the following:
1. Two myths were introduced to you today, "Prometheus" and "Pandora." Both are found within your text. PLEASE read them before returning to class on Thursday.
2. As you read, identify "MORAL TRUTHS" for both myths. Basically, "what is the myth really about?" Consider themes as you read. Identify the theme/moral truth, and then locate text that proves that theme. Please identify two moral truths, and two textual support to prove that theme. THIS IS REQUIRED upon your return.
3. We continued learning more about the Pantheon. We obtained information for Hephaestus, Athena, Poseidon, and Hades (B2). I have include the information obtained in class for you below. Please transfer it to your YELLOW NOTE TAKING SHEET.
- Zeus swallowed Athena's mother, Metis, because an oracle had informed Zeus that if Metis birthed a son that child would overthrow his father. Zeus felt that he could not risk this, so he swallowed Metis. Athena grew within her father, until one day he experience a terrible headache. Hephaestus, the God of Inventions, sliced open Zeus' head and Athena was born wearing full battle armour and holding a shield and spear.
- Athena values mankind. She taught them how to create tools, use numbers, create nets, weaving and ships.
- Athena expected mankind to give gratitude to the gods of Olympus. If they were disrespectful, she punished them. She turns a mortal woman names Arachne into a spider because she failed to thank Athena for her gift. In addition, she said that she was a better weaver than Athena.
- Athena and Poseidon both wanted Attica as their city-state. The people decided they would select their patron god based upon a gift they offered the people. Athena gave the people an Olive Tree, and Poseidon gave the people a spring of salt water. The people selected Athena as their patron deity; consequently, Poseidon detested Athena.
- God of the Seas
- Created the horse to woo his sister, Demeter. In the process created all the "misfit" animals (zebra, giraffe, hippo, donkey, etc.)
- Gave the horse to Demeter and created the sea horse for himself
- Loved his domain due to the secrets he could keep in it
- Had sex with Medusa in Athena's temple; this angered the goddess. To revenge this wrong, Athena turned Medusa into a GORGON. Medusa was punished for Poseidon's wrong, but Poseidon punished significantly for it.
- Known for his beautiful smile
- Easily angered
- Highly venerated due to the Greeks being sea faring.
God of Wealth (precious metals found within the earth)
You must pay to enter his domain with a coin (obolus)
Three levels...people are judged based upon HOW THEY LIVED THEIR LIFE
Just/Rhadamanthine....concept of ethics
Cerberus....three headed dog
Steals Persephone and she becomes "Queen of the Underworld"
Persephone spends three months of the year (winter) with Hades and the remaining months she is with her mother ...Persephone eats four pomegranate seeds confining her to the realm of the dead
Goddess of the Harvest
When her daughter Persephone is stolen by Hades, Demeter refuses to let anything grow
Zeus requests that she Persephone be returned to her mother
Demeter rarely lost her temper
Horse is created for her by Poseidon
Artemis and Apollo
Artemis and Apollo