Sunday, October 2, 2016

September 28th, 2016

Dear Mythology Kids,

Better late than never, right? Here is the practice quiz for your quiz on Monday. I'm sorry that I am just now posting it; I think you will still have time to complete it before I see you tomorrow.

PRACTICE  QUIZ:
1. I was in the operating room the night my brother my born. _____________/_____________
2. Love can not live where there is not trust. _____________/_____________
3. Justify your response for #2.
4. I would make an excellent AP statistics teacher. _____________/_____________
5. My father gave me many gifts due to my beauty. ______________/_____________
6. Quails are my favorite bird. ________________/__________________
7. Justify your response or #6.
8. I am crazy for cuckoo birds. _______________/______________
9. "He resembled a tadpole when I found him." _______________/_______________
10. Justify your response for #9.

If you missed class, we obtained information for Hephaestus, Artemis, and Apollo. Your quiz will pertain to Hera, Hephaestus, Artemis, and Apollo. Note the information for these members of the pantheon below.


Hera

  • Zeus transforms into a cuckoo bird. Hera loves animals, and finds a "cuckoo bird" outside her window trapped in a storm. She brings the bird to her breast and states, "I will love you forever, cuckoo bird, and I swear by the River Styx that I will honor this vow." At this point, Zeus returned to his true form, raped Hera, and told her that she had to honor her vow by marrying him. If you swore by Styx your oath could not be broken.
  • She loves animals.
  • Hephaestus is her son without a father (in some versions) Hera was angry that Zeus had given birth to Athena without the assistance of a mother, so she gave birth to Hephaestus without a father. He was born ugly and unshapen, so she cast him off Mt. Olympus.
  • Due to Zeus' affairs, Hera takes her anger and frustrations out on Zeus' lovers and children.

Artemis and Apollo





Artemis and Apollo

VIRGIN!!!!!!!!
Kill for virginity….she asked her father for eternal virginity, change your mind
ACTEON is a hunter….. changes him to stag and his hounds destroy him
ORION is a hunter ….Apollo kills ORION…..
Apollo is jealous of his sister ….scorpion and it stings Orion….Artemis places Orion and the scorpion in the stars
Apollo falls in love with Daphne…VIRGIN (Artemis), REVENGE!
Apollo is competitive…..”ROCK competition"”
2nd fav. To Zeus…..perfect
Ephesus is her city state.
 Apollo is the god of "Truth." 
His city state is called Delphi
He destroys the Python that tormented his mother and then draped its skin over his throne.
The women that worked for him were called Oracle or Pythian preistesses
He had his own athletic games called the Pythian Games; they were held in honor of the Python that he killed.
 
 Homework:
1. Please read "Daphne" located on pages 119-120 in your book. Identify the "moral truths" found in the myths and include them on the white packet that you received last time.
2. Please read "Prometheus and Io" located on p. 79 in your book. Identify the "moral truths" found in the myths and include them on the white packet that you received last time.
3. Plan on a quiz covering the Greek gods discussed today....Hera, Hephaestus, Apollo, and Artemis

Your FINAL exam!

Dear Mythology Kids, It's nice to "see" you again. Let me offer some "study guidance" for your final exam. Please ...