Wednesday, April 29, 2009
For those of you who tasted the "Mead of Poetry," I hope you enjoyed it. If you did not attend class on Tuesday, then we will look forward to you sharing your poetry selection with us on Thursday. The mead will still be available for you to taste, if you choose to do so!
You homework for Thursday is to read the following myths:
1. "Skirnir's Journey" (myth #11)
2. "Necklace of the Brisings" (myth #12)
The best way to be prepared for your quiz is to make sure you can explain the myth to someone that has not read it.
I will look forward to visiting with you on Thursday.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
I hope you've had enjoyable weekend. Are you ready to taste the "Mead of Poetry" on Tuesday? Just a reminder about Tuesday:
1. Make sure your poem is memorized
2. Make sure you have included a typed explanation as to why you value the poem and the meaning behind the piece.
3. Remember to include a copy of the poem beneath your explanation.
Your homework for Thursday is to have read the following myths:
"Necklace of the Brisings" and "Skirnir's Journey"
I apologize that I don't have the page numbers for you, but you are more than capable of referring to the "Table of Contents" in your book! Yes, you should plan on some type of assessment covering the myths.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Please make sure that you are prepared for your reading quiz scheduled for Friday. The myths that you need to have read are the following:
1. "Mead of Poetry" pgs. 26-32
2. "Marriage of Njord and Skadi" pgs. 44-47
3. "The Treasures of the Gods" pgs. 48-53
Your quiz will be different, again, as it will be an oral quiz. I promise it will make sense when I see you on Friday. You will need to support your responses by using examples from the myths. MAKE SURE YOU READ THEM!
In addition, don't forget that your memorized poem, and the explanation that goes along with it, are due on Tuesday.
I will see you on Friday.
Monday, April 20, 2009
I hope you had a wonderful break. You only have FIVE WEEKS until school ends, so do your best to end strong, and please let me know if I can help you in any way.
Okay...your homework for Wednesday is the following:
1. Your revision for your "Let's go to the Movies" essay is due on Wed.
2. Please read "Idun's Apples" pgs. 38-43
3. Please read "LOki's Evil Children and the binding of Fenrir." Pg. 33-37
4. Plan on a quiz covering #2 and #3.
5. Your favorite poem must be memorized and is due on April 28th. I gave everyone a handout explaining this assignment in class. Make sure you obtain the handout upon your return.
Also, if you missed class today (Monday), please make sure you are ready to take the quiz you given today on Wednesday.
Friday, April 17, 2009
I do hope that you are enjoying your Spring Break! For those of us who have stayed in Utah, we could have gone skiing! Oh well, we should NEVER COMPLAIN about water, as one day we may be without it. I will be excited to hear about your week off when I see you on Monday. You do realize that when you come back, we only have five weeks and then you will be ready to move on. I can't believe how quickly this year has gone by.
Here is your practice quiz.....GOOD LUCK!
Practice Quiz: Please choose the god that best fits each clue.
1. "It is so nice to meet you." ( What do you do when you first meet someone?) ____________
2. "Here kitty, kitty....." ________________
3. "The better to see you with, my dear." _________________
4. Malevolent, Mischievous, and Malicious _________________
5. "I love toy boats, especially if they can fold up and fit in my pocket." _____________
6. Salt water is excellent for my skin, because it acts as an exfoliate. _______________
7. He gave me a splitting headache. _______________
8. "Promise me that you won't lay a hand on him. " _________________
9. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." ______________
10. Black and White, Life and Death, Good and Evil _____________________
Friday, April 10, 2009
I hope you have a wonderful break! Let me remind you of what is due upon your return.
1. Your "Let's go to the Movies" essay is due on Wednesday, April 22nd. If you missed class on Thursday, I returned the essay to their owners. You will need to collect yours the Monday you return from Spring Break.
2. You will have a QUIZ on Monday, April 20th, covering the information you shared with each other about your specific god. The quiz will be application in nature. You are welcome to use 4 flashcards (if you create all 12).
Enjoy the break!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
4. You will have a quiz on Thursday covering the above myths, "Lord of the Gallows," and the Runes!
1. Why do the Aesir and Vanir trade gods?
2. What ends up happening to Mimir? What ultimately becomes of him? Explain.
3. Why are the Aesir so frustrated with the witch Gullveig?
4. Why do the Vanir think the Aesir have tricked them?
5.What does the term Rune mean?
6. Why does Odin stab himself prior to obtaining the Runes?
7. How were the first man and woman created?
8. What is the compromise that Odin makes with the mason concerning the rebuilding of Asgard's wall?
9. Why are the gods so annoyed at Loki regarding the building of Asgard's wall?
10. What price does Loki pay for his involvement with rebuilding Asgard's wall?
I look forward to seeing you on Thursday!
Sunday, April 5, 2009
The Runes are placed around this rendering of Odin riding Sleipnir.
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
This is an artists rendering of Yggdrasil. Make sure you discover who the following characters are and their role in Norse Mythology.
This is Jormungand; he is also known as the "world serpent."
This is Nidhogg. He is a dragon that lives in the world of the dead known as Niflheim. He chews on the root of Yggdrasil that supports this final world.
This is Odin: King of the Gods, Poetry, Battle, Wisdom. Make sure you learn more about
This is Thor: God of Farmers, thunder, protector of the gods.
1. I am Odin's "thought." _________________
2. I am Odin's "Memory." _________________
3. Mother to Balder; Friday; weaves the clouds ______________
4. Loves gold; hates war ____________________
5. Strong senses _________________
6. Trickster _______________
7. The end of the Norse World is called ______________
8. I have eight legs. _______________
9. Wednesday ______________
10. The "heaven" in the land of the gods is called ____________
11. Loki is our father 11.______________12.______________13.____________
14. I have a special hammer _______________
15. Apples are my favorite fruit. _________________
16. Well of past, present and future ____________________