Dear Mythology Students,
If you missed class today, we completed the following:
1. We completed a quiz regarding the myth entitled "Orpheus and Eurydice"
2. Nature Myths were submitted.
3. "Creating Your Own Underworld" assignment was explained.
1. Your quiz covering Hades will take place on Thursday.
3. Your "Creating Your Own Underworld" is due on Wed., Nov 11. Both the diagram and the written portion are due on the 11th.
1. Please review the four significant sinners (Tantalus, Sisyphus, Danaids, Ixion) that we discussed last Friday! You will see images of each sinner(s), asked to identify them by name, crime, punishment, and the symbolism behind their punishment. Review the previous post for assistance with this.
2. You will be given quotes from pieces of literature that allude to individuals and locations within Hades. Review your grey handout regarding the following:
a. The Fates (names!)
c. Minos, Rhadamanthese, and Aeucus
d. Somnus and Morpheus.
f. Asphodel Fields
"Creating Your Own Underworld" Assignment
For your underworld assignment, I am asking you to consider your value system, and then devise punishments, just as Dante has done in his Inferno, and the Greeks have done for the sinners in Tartarus, that are symbolic of the crime. I have included some images below of Dante's Inferno.
This image depicts the nine levels of Dante's Underworld.
This image depicts those that committed suicide. Dante felt that because they had not valued their human form while living, they would therefore be turned to trees.
The following example was submitted several years ago by a previous student.
Wesley's Well of Woes