1. When Theseus was a younger man he attempted to carry-off a significant female character. Who is the female character?
2. How does Theseus' father recognize him upon his return to Athens?
3. Why does the witch Medea want Theseus dead?
4. Why does Theseus not want to go by sea?
5. He meets three villains, Sinis, Procrustus and Sciron, along the road to Athens. What did each do to their victims?
6. Identify some of Theseus' flaws...he has many! He is compared to Heracles. How are the two different regarding their inherent characters.
7. Why are the young Athenians given to the Minotaur every nine years?
8. Theseus' best friend is named Pirithous. What poor choice does Theseus make with his friend?
9. Why is Theseus such a strong leader?
10. How is Theseus able to escape the labyrinth? Who assists him and how?
11. Identify at least four aspects that we know about the Minoan culture.
The Minoans were peaceful and gifted aesthetically. They valued the use of color in their artwork. This fresco depicts a Minoan youth.
We know that they Minoans valued the bull. One of their most popular athletic events
was that of bull jumping.
We also know that they valued nature, especially aspects associated with the sea, as
seen in the fresco above with the dolphins.
The palace at Knosso partially restored.