Dear Mythology Kids,
I hope you had an enjoyable holiday! You only have FIVE MONTHS until your "big day!" Hang in there, and please let me know if I can do anything to help you reach the goal of graduation.
This is an arial view of the palace at Knossos. The same palace, according to mythology, where Theseus was held captive and where he destroyed the Minotaur. From this perspective it clearly looks like a labyrinth.
1. Mosiac is due on Monday, January 11th
2. Don't forget that you have an unusual quiz covering "Theseus" pgs. 155-165 on Thursday. As you prepare for the quiz keep the following aspects in mind.
1. When Theseus was a younger man he attempted to carry-off a significant female character. Who is the female character?
2. How does Theseus' father recognize him upon his return to Athens?
3. Why does the witch Medea want Theseus dead?
4. Why does Theseus not want to go by sea?
5. He meets three villains, Sinis, Procrustus and Sciron, along the road to Athens. What did each do to their victims?
6. Identify some of Theseus' flaws...he has many! He is compared to Heracles. How are the two different regarding their inherent characters.
7. Why are the young Athenians given to the Minotaur every nine years?
8. Theseus' best friend is named Pirithous. What poor choice does Theseus make with his friend?
9. Why is Theseus such a strong leader?
10. How is Theseus able to escape the labyrinth? Who assists him and how?
11. Identify at least four aspects that we know about the Minoan culture.
12. Why is Theseus' relationship Phaedra so unfortunante?
The Minoans were peaceful and gifted aesthetically. They valued the use of color in their artwork. This fresco depicts a Minoan youth.
We know that they Minoans valued the bull. One of their most popular athletic events
was that of bull jumping.
We also know that they valued nature, especially aspects associated with the sea, as
seen in the fresco above with the dolphins.
The palace at Knosso partially restored.